SONG OF THE WEEK #8 / COW / SPARKLEHORSE


Following the recent and very early demise of Mark Linkous I thought it apt to pay my respects here. I distinctly remember buying the band's debut "Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot" from a dusty but brilliant record shop in Canterbury near the cinema. As a 15/16 year old living in a small sea side town I was totally transfixed with it's imagery, intimacy and very analogue layering. I remember the hours pawing over the cd booklet in my room with the cd on trying to find the narrative between images and wondering what that clown face was all about on the cover. For me it still stands today and, alongside their second album "Good Morning Spider," makes for some of Mark Linkous' finest work.

Listen to "Cow" on Spotify
Subscribe to HelloVon studio on Spotify